Saturday, October 08, 2016

Spyderco Paramilitary 2. Just another review.

Well this isn't the first written review for this knife and I know it won't be the last. It's short and sweet and let's you know how this beast really feels.

We're talking about one of the most popular and named by some as "Spyderco's headline knife".

We're of course talking about the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. A CPM S30V steel beast with reckless intent on being a quality blade for a reasonable price point.

I picked up a silver/digi camo from eBay just recently off a great "local" seller from Caledon. Super fast shipping in a nice package. A+ experience from the seller (Caledon2).

First impressions were of a solid, and I do mean solid, constructed knife. A great weight to it's handle size which is a bit larger but fits the hand perfectly no matter what position you hold the tool at. The G-10 handle feels so grippy in comparison to the Tenacious. The clip as well is just as solid as any other Spyderco with the spoon form. Beautiful, I love the clip, love love love the spoon clip from Spyderco. Of course it is ambidextrous and tip up/down optional. I tend to keep them whatever way from factory now which is tip down but keep them in my left pocket with the blade facing the outside of my leg. I'm not obsessed about tip up/down or speed to deploy as it works fine from that position in that location even with being right handed. This is as of the time of writing this review. Things always change!

ANDREA 'ACTION' JACKSON. Sorry. The action. Open. Close. The process. One word. Butter. This has the most solid, smooth and perfected hinge I've ever felt on a folding knife. One thumb open is a breeze, closing is just as easy even without touching the blade!

That brings me to the compression lock. Much like a liner lock but on the back side of this knife and has a pin to sit within a notch on the blade. You can hold it down and flip the blade open and closed with a bit of practice. I'm not a knife showboater so I tend to thumb my blade open. Either way this is a beautiful mechanism and it was done very well.

The steel. This blade feels like a man's blade. I first off tested it on the back of my thumbnail like I so often do with every knife and it stuck. I couldn't skin my nail immediately. It stuck to my nail. I could tell the steel was heavier and better quality than other knives I've used. The way it feels when I skin the nail is heavy. It's a good thing, don't get me wrong. It feels like a quality made steel that will handle whatever can be thrown at it. Now the blade itself has a full flat grind which is perfect and looks as good as it performs. The jimping is tight and won't allow any slips to be had on its watch.

Value: People these days want the most for the least and here you get it. One outstanding knife that delivers on all levels and doesn't break the bank. I'd gladly drop $400+ for the M390 version as that steel makes it even better! But for the money you pay for the S30V you cannot go wrong.

Update: Bought a second Black/Satin PM2. Bought a third in brown with S35VN steel, outstanding. The best yet. Hunting for one in M390. The grail.

Update again: Got that M390 sumabitch!





No comments:

Post a Comment