Monday, August 21, 2017

Kershaw Natrix. Snake in the grass or total let down?

Today I write a review about a knife. Not just any knife, one that brought with it a lot of controversy. Many people now know of a lawsuit and legal battle between KAI and Marifone about plagiarism of KAI's Zero Tolerance 0777. KAI took this in stride and poked back with the Natrix, a budget version of their ZT0777.

First and foremost I think they could have taken a bit more time to hone this knife in to make it worth the 40 some odd dollars they charge. I don't care about milled G10 costing more or whatever, give me a solid knife.

First of all I'll state some good. I love the blade shape, not necessarily the steel but the shape is AWESOME. My preferred blade shape really is sheepsfoot as it's so versatile and easy to sharpen. and second off, I don't mind the speedsafe assisted opening. You other guys have to stop whining about it and just don't buy it if you hate it so much. But again, THAT BLADE SHAPE!

THINGS I DO NOT LIKE VERY MUCH ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR KNIFE MODEL IN QUESTION...

The handles are G10 or whatever but it's so light and awkward in hand, I think it definitely would have some bonus points if it had steel liners throughout. The texture on the G10 doesn't do anything for grip really.

Another hated part which I've read people are having problems with is the stop pin. To me it looks like plastic and it could (and has) popped out of the knife. Mine is fine so far but I have the urge to mod that before disaster strikes.

It has like 82 washers but still isn't centered.

The G10 rubs against the blade when opening causing scuff lines to appear on the show side of my knife. Another gripe of the G10 is that it was pretty unfinished along the spine as it almost felt as if it wanted to cut me when I flipped the knife open, a little bit of sand paper cured that.

The back spacer is useless black plastic. I think I'd prefer standoffs on this model and from what I've seen they're in that back spacer under red loctite... no thanks.

Sub frame lock works.

Wait for a while and see if they fix some of this stuff or maybe release an American made version before you buy. I'd gladly play 80-100 for an American made one with S30V or whatever! Just do yourself a favor and wait until this goes on sale or gets revamped.


No comments:

Post a Comment