Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Boker Plus .50 Cal bolt action pen. The only pen you need? Spoiler alert: Yes, yes it is.

Some may "er" and "ah" and "but!" this post but for me, this is truly the only pen you will ever need to carry. It'd shorter than a full size yet fits a XXL glove hand like a charm, bolt action for solid writing pleasure and takes full size fisher space pen refills!

We're talking about the Boker Plus 50 cal pen. It comes in a variety of finishes from the aluminum, micarta and carbon fiber as well I've seen lately anodized versions popping up. I've owned the aluminum and it slid out of my pocket eventually never to be seen again. I own the micarta now to add some pocket stick. It sort of helps. So well since we're on this topic lets get the one and only bad thing about this pen out of the way first.

Staying in place. I never have a problem with things in my pockets with pocket clips getting snagged non stop or sliding out against something until I got the Boker 50 cal. I find it a little bit too slippery on the jeans and it tends to want to jump out at seat belts or chairs or anything, maybe a bit of metal filing to the clip pressure point may help, but thats a chore for another day.

GOOD STUFF! This pen is super comfortable, clicky, fidget worthy and also tip down! As long as you don't use cheap non pressureized refills there should never be an issue with tip down pen carry. The ink is always right there ready to go as you slide it from your pocket.

It writes smoothly but that's mostly thanks to the space pen refill. It does have a nice solid feeling to it as you write and keeps you nice and close to the paper, this micarta version is especially comfortable because of the added grooving in the barrel of the pen, which also helps with the slipping from pocket issue minutely.

It's not a cheap pen but not an expensive pen either but it is a quality pen that will last you for your days. Also it seems to be a talking piece as most people haven't seen a bolt action pen or even a smaller sized pen like this, I think I nearly sold my boss on one of these when he caught a glimpse of it the other day during inventory.

Also I didn't forget to mention but it can be used as a Kubotan.

No comments:

Post a Comment