Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Kershaw Flourish. Does it flower or fail?

The third Kershaw review this month, what a roll. If I were to save the best for last it'd be the Kershaw Link... spoiler? Nope, not in the least because the Flourish is actually pretty darn outstanding.

Now that being said this isn't the end all budget blade as of course it packs 8Cr13MoV. I'm starting to get bored with that steel I suppose as I've seen it and used it in many different grinds and heat treats (I'm sure of) and it's just a ho-hum steel that sometimes can barely make it through the day without a touch up on the Sharpmaker. Yes conditions always change and yes it's always something new to cut so my tests aren't truly representative 100% of each brand and grind.

I digress as this review is about the Kershaw Flourish, not 8Cr13MoV steel or other budget steels.

This Speedsafe opening flipper is constructed actually really well. It is solid and well put together. One thing I did do was pop the plastic backspacer out, just for fun and it made this a better looking handle. After a let down with the Kershaw Natrix this assisted opening worked super well, full lockup with no rock every time. The handle has good heft for a medium to large knife and really fills the hand well with how thick it is. I did however encounter a snag with the handle butt when poking out of the pocket as it seemed to grab a lot on the point so I bench grindered the crap out of it and it got better. The handles are made from G10 and a layer of carbon fiber over top for looks. It feels and looks good with beefy steel liners to boot.

The blade shape is nice, I like hollow grind blades so this fit the bill. It has a good belly on it and is great for the every day piercing tasks too! The blade to handle ratio is fair after I ground off that tip. The steel is nothing to write home about but seeing more American budget knives would be a dream come true.

For the price point you're getting a super premium handle and a mediocre steel blade with a decent shape. I'm not totally in love with this knife but it is good and earns a spot in my rotation. Also I may be becoming warm to blackwash!

No comments:

Post a Comment