Saturday, October 08, 2016

CRKT 4030 Folding Razel, beast mode.

I wanted a hard use bash 'em up knife for a while, nothing too expensive and great functionality. I came to the awesome Graham design Razel from CRKT. It's been discontinued for a few years now but scored one on eBay for under $35. This thing looks amazing. I'm not a CRKT design fan but the Razel won me over. It's a chisel, it's a razor, boom.

I've been scraping asphalt off of steel with it for weeks now and it's just a beast, it truly fits in the tool category for knives.
It has a chisel tip and a slight belly cutting bottom edge. I tend to like the straight or slightly curved belly knives as of late. Hollow ground on both edges for superior cutting power! The chisel tip I've let dull as I use it for scraping but the cutting edge is fantastic. 8Cr13MoV steel makes for a ln easy razor sharp affair. A few passes on the sharpmaker and it's good to go for the next day.

The construction for a China made knife is outstanding. Far superior (and cheaper) than the Spyderco Tenacious. For and finish with great weight. The only thing, they are nice to look at are the micarta scales as there isnt much grip to them. If you look at the pictures you'll see where I carved the scales a bit to provide grip for scraping and chiseling tasks.

It also has a manual LAWKS system, a CRKT method of keeping liner locks locked up! It slides behind the liner lock when engaged and prevents the liner lock from being closed.

It came with a great low ride tip down carry which isn't my flavor so I installed the butt clip for an ultra deep carry tip up. This knife is big and beefy but disappears when slid into the pocket. I did find with the smooth micarta scales it was hard to take the knife from the pocket quickly so I put a pull lanyard on it. Works great now.

This is a cheap knife but actually found its way into my everyday carry. If you can get one, do it as soon as you can.





No comments:

Post a Comment